Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

TGIF: Healthy Weekend Cocktail Recipes

Happy Friday!

I don't know about you but I am ready to enjoy the weekend and along with it a light cocktail or two. Usually I limit my alcohol intake because it tends to give me a headache but when I do indulge these are my go-to drinks. I've also included some "mocktail" options below in case you're not of legal drinking age.

Prosecco/sparkling wine:
Bubbly is the perfect drink when you want something light. It only has 60-80 calories per glass and 1-2g of sugar. If sparkling wines are too dry for you, try adding the juice from a couple fresh, ripe berries. I like blackberries or blueberries personally.

Grapefruit Wine Spritzer
1 oz of pinto grigio
2-4oz of Polar brand ruby red grapefruit sparkling water. You could use any brand just as long as it doesn't contain artificial flavors or sweeteners. I have sampled many sparkling waters and I find the Polar brand to have the most flavor.
**Another good idea is to make a carafe of this and add in ripe ruby red grapefruit slices. Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours and it will taste extra delicious.

Kombucha Wine Cocktail
1/2 bottle of GTS Trilogy kombucha or 8oz home-brewed kombucha.
2 oz of blush or white wine of choice

Raw Margarita aka "Skinny" Margarita
1.5 oz tequila
Juice from 1 lime
1 tsp of agave nectar
seltzer water and ice
Salt for the rim (optional)
If you're going to have a margarita this really is the best way to go. It's light, refreshing, and very low on the glycemic index. My husband makes the best raw margaritas.

Classic Mimosa
3 oz sparkling wine, champagne, or prosecco
Fresh juice from 1-2 oranges. Try to stay away from pre-packaged juices as they usually contain extra sugar.

X-rated Martini
1 oz X-rated vodka (a vodka infused with blood orange, mango, and passion fruit flavors)
2 oz champagne
A little fresh raspberry juice
Raspberry to garnish.
This is one of my all-time favorite cocktails. They serve it at a lounge I used to frequent in college called Room 38.  Man, I miss that place.


Mocktails
By the way, I am not endorsing underage drinking. Your time will come so don't rush it. :)

Mock Ipanema
8oz Ginger ale
A few mint leaves
Crushed ice
~Add a silly straw or fun umbrella!

Mock Champagne cocktail
Sparkling white grape juice
2 fresh raspberries


As always drink responsibly and listen to your body. Everything in moderation.


I hope you enjoyed this post and have a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment