Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Monday Motivation Through Mindfulness

Maybe I am alone here but Mondays are when I feel the most motivated. It's a weekly chance at a fresh start. Every Monday I like to make a list of attainable goals for the week.  Checking things off this list is very therapeutic for me so I always include some small things like "take mail to post office" or "do load of laundry." Completing those little mundane tasks motivates me to tackle the bigger things on my list. Monday is also the day when I try to get myself pumped for the week. I do this by seeking out inspirational quotes, affirmations, or doing some mindfulness practice. 

The practice of mindfulness is a great way to feel motivated and inspired.  Essentially mindfulness is the practice of being aware of your surroundings in the present moment. When we are mindful we take in each moment and cherish it for what is it. The more we bring our focus to the present moment the more we can clearly set our intentions and enjoy the day. 

Here is a quick mindfulness exercise you can try for better focus. 
1. Stop what you are doing and just sit still for a moment. 
2. Take a few deep breathes and each time you inhale imagine the air starting from the tips of your toes and moving up your spinal cord all the way to the top of your head. As you exhale imagine the air coming into your body and flowing down your back, reaching every organ. You can also imagine when you are exhaling you are pushing out all negative thoughts and when you inhale you are pulling in positive thoughts and intentions. 
3. Now, open your eyes if they were closed and look at the objects immediately surrounding you. Really take notice of your surroundings. Give each object a few moments of your attention. 
4. Then pull your focus back on yourself. Really notice yourself and pay attention to your physical and mental being. 
5. Traditional mindfulness practice might leave it here but I like to use this focus I've created to set my intentions. I also give myself some positive affirmations and smile. The simple act of smiling can greatly improve your mood. 


Here are some mindfulness quotes that really inspire me.

“Do every act of your life as though it were the very last act of your life.” 
― Marcus Aurelius 

"In this moment, there is plenty of time. In this moment, you are precisely as you should be. In this moment, there is infinite possibility. ” 
― Victoria Moran

“Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet.” 
―Thích Nhat Hanh


“You actions are your only true belongings.” 
―Allan Lokos 

“We use mindfulness to observe the way we cling to pleasant experiences & push away unpleasant ones.” 
―Sharon Salzberg 



Have a great day and don't forget to smile, 

C

No comments:

Post a Comment