Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Quick And Easy Veggie Soup

Happy Wednesday!

I hope you are all having a wonderful day. Where I live it has been raining all day and on days like this my favorite food to eat is soup.  So I opened my fridge, grabbed every veggie I saw, and decided to try a little experiment. It turned out to be a very delicious experiment so I thought I would share it will you all.

If you follow me on Intsagram (liveloveandtiu)  then you saw this picture I posted:


This recipe could easily be modified to use whatever veggies you like or happen to have in your fridge.


What I used:

1 Large carrot, sliced 
3 Small stalks of celery, sliced
1/2 Turnip, cut into cubes
~1 Cup of kale - The kale I had was already cut but if you have full leaves I would cut them down to bite size pieces. 
A little dash of Turmeric
A dash of Oregano
1/2 Tbsp diced garlic
A sprinkle of cayenne pepper (if you don't want a little kick just skip this)
A a few grinds of fresh black pepper
1-1/2 Cups low sodium chicken broth
3 Cups water
1/2- 1 Cup Marinara sauce (mine was tomato basil) or tomato paste.



A quick note about my broth:

I really did not plan to make soup so I only had about 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth in my fridge. I didn't have any tomato paste so I just added some tomato basil marinara sauce to the water and it worked just fine. Sometimes you have to work with what you got!

I mixed the broth first, then added the veggies, and then the spices. Once it all came to a boil I simmered it on medium for about 10 minutes until the turnips became tender and then let it simmer on medium/low for about 15 minutes. I did a few taste tests and added a little more garlic and pepper to taste. Viola!


I am very pleased with the results! The turnip was an especially nice alternative to potato. If you try this yourself let me know what veggies you used. Or if you have a really good veggie soup recipe leave it in the comments and I'll try it. I always love a good soup. 


~C








No comments:

Post a Comment