Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Homemade Healthy Nutella

Oh, Nutella. Whoever decided to combine hazelnuts and chocolate into a creamy spread was a genius.  

I was in the experimental mood last night and noticed a small bag of hazelnuts in my cabinet that I bought in the bulk section of Whole Foods. So I decided to try to re-create that delicious hazelnut spread with a healthy twist.  Then, like I do with all my at-home experiments, I used my husband as a guinea pig. Consensus: he loved it.  My husband loves Nutella more than anyone else I know so I think we have a winner! 






Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup of raw hazelnuts
  • 1 Tbsp of chocolate protein powder. I'm using brown rice protein. 
  • 2 Tbsp of raw cacao powder
  • 2 Tbsp of chocolate almond milk*
  • 5 Tbsp of coconut milk creamer*
  • 1 1/2 packets of stevia
  • 2 Tbsp of raw sugar. 

Steps:

1. Add just the hazelnuts to a food processor and blend until it turns into a meal/flour texture. 
2. In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients and mix together using a fork. 
3. Once the chocolate, milk, and sugar mixture is well blended add it to the food processor. 
4. Blend in the food processor in 1 minute increments, stirring the mixture well each time. You can stop blending once you have reached your desired thickness. If your mixture is too thick then add a little more milk and continue blending. 
5. Transfer your spread into a bowl and let it sit in the fridge overnight. 
6.Spread it on toast, mix into pancakes, or eat it by itself on a spoon for a little treat. ;) 

*You can substitute for any type of milk you like. 

I hope you enjoyed this post and get a chance to try this yummy recipe. Let me know how it works for you and I'd love to hear about any of your cooking experiments. You can leave a comment below or tweet me @imperfectperla. 

Have a lovely day! 



2 comments:

  1. This looks SO good! I'm going to try it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should! You can never go wrong with chocolate and hazelnuts. :)

    ReplyDelete